November 19, 2016
I am not sure where I got this recipe from but I have always loved this cake. Sweet inside and out with the cinnamon topping giving a wonderful contrast to the tart cranberries! Perfect with a warm cup of something.. coffee, tea or rum toddy!
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream ( I use plain yogurt now)
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups cranberries (fresh)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease a 9 inch springform pan *** I like to grease the pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. I put the base of the springform pan in the rim upside down so that the cake can be removed easily from the base.
1.Mix the topping ingredients together. You can use a food processor for this or a fork to combine until this mixture is a fairly fine crumb.I used a fork and then my fingers to make sure it was well combined
2. In a mixer with the large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until well combined. Add the two eggs , one at a time, mixing until well incorporated, Add vanilla and mix
3. Put the sour cream into a medium size bowl and add the baking soda and stir to combine. This expands a bit so make sure your bowl has enough room
4. Combine the flour and baking powder
5. Add the flour and sour cream alternately to the sugar/butter/egg mixture, scraping down the sides of the mixer as needed. Mix well after each addition. Once all the flour and sour cream have been added and your batter is well mixed and smooth, remove the mixing bowl from the base and fold in the cranberries. The batter is quite thick
6. Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and sprinkle on the topping, pressing it down a bit. There is a lot of topping but it adds a delicious crunch to the cake.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until done. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan . To remove the side of the pan, take a knife and run it along the inside edge, between the cake and side of the pan, open the latch and remove the rim. Cool the cake completely before removing the base .